As the days start heating up, many of us will be updating our wardrobes, swapping out long sleeves and heavy layers for a lighter wardrobe. Equally in need of a refresh, however, are our skincare routines! To help you enjoy the sun safely (and stunningly), we’ve put together this guide on how to take care of your skin in hot weather.
What Happens to Skin in The Warmer Months
From prolonged sun exposure and humidity to the drying effects of air conditioning, the summer months bring their own share of skincare challenges, including:
- Dehydration – Heat pulls moisture from the skin, leaving it feeling tight, itchy, and irritated. Remember: dehydrated skin is not the same as dry skin; even oily skin can become dehydrated!
- Breakouts – The mixture of sweat, sebum, and external agents (sunscreen, chlorine, etc.) can lead to clogged pores and acne flare-ups.
- Sun damage – In addition to heat rash and sunburns, too much sun can cause irregular skin pigmentation (sunspots) and photoaging (i.e., premature wrinkles and visible signs of aging).
Fortunately, many of these issues can be mitigated with diligent, proactive sun protection and a carefully curated skincare regimen. Below are a few of our favorite products and treatments CC Skin Clinic offers to protect skin during the warmer months.
Our Hot Weather Picks
This product should be top of mind—regardless of the weather outside! UV rays affect us year-round, so making sunscreen a part of your daily skincare is essential for healthy, happy skin.
- EltaMD® UV Clear SPF 46: Voted the best SPF for acne-prone skin in 2023 by NewBeauty, this oil-free sunscreen calms sensitive skin, protects it from discoloration, and promotes skin health. Plus, it also comes in a tinted version!
- Skinbetter Science® Sunbetter Tone Smart SPF 68 Sunscreen Compact: A broad-spectrum sunscreen that doubles as a makeup primer. Available in a tone-adapting color or sheer.
Hydrate skin from the inside out by drinking plenty of fluids, and use products that help replenish your skin’s natural moisture barrier. We recommend:
- Revision Skincare Intellishade Original – This tinted moisturizer has broad-spectrum SPF and is designed with anti-aging properties in mind. It counteracts visible signs of aging, evens skin tone and redness, deeply hydrates, and restores the skin’s natural radiance.
- ZO® Skin Health Hydrating Crème – Awarded a seal of acceptance by the National Eczema Association, this product soothes skin and calms redness while also protecting the skin’s critical moisture barrier to enhance skin recovery.
These mighty products protect skin from the sun, free radicals, and other environmental aggressors:
- Skinbetter Science® Solo Hydrating Defense MEN – A once-daily skincare powerhouse, this serum is specifically designed to protect male skin from the sun, blue light, and other skin-damaging pollutants.
- ZO® Skin Health Daily Power Defense – This serum fortifies the skin’s protective barrier and guards against oxidative damage and environmental aging.
In addition to our extensive menu of professional skincare products, our range of noninvasive cosmetic treatments can help rejuvenate your skin and reclaim a healthy, youthful appearance.
- DiamondGlow® – With the aid of a diamond tip wand, this skin resurfacing treatment exfoliates, eliminates impurities, and nourishes the skin with a powerful serum.
- Dermaplaning – This treatment uses a specialized scalpel to remove peach fuzz and dead skin cells for a brighter, smoother look.
We also offer several laser treatments that can counteract existing photodamage and promote healthier, more luminous skin. Please check out our med spa page to see all our services.